Smiths Station, one of the most thriving and fastest growing communities in Lee County, was settled in 1826. In 1845 the Central of Georgia Railroad was built through the community from Columbus, GA to Opelika, Alabama.
The depot was named for Mr. Broadus Smith, a prominent early settler who lived near by.
When the first school was built is not exactly known, however, we do know that a one-room wooden structure was located one half mile west of the depot prior to 1913. A few years after the establishment of the school, Dr. O.D. Smith, whose relationship to Broadus Smith is unknown, moved to the community from the Green Mountain section of Vermont. Dr. Smith served as a teacher and Principal (lead teacher) at the school in Smiths Station.
In 1873, Dr. Smith was elected Professor of Mathematics at Auburn College, later to become Auburn Polytechnical Institute, then finally Auburn University.
In 1902, after the death of Dr. Brown, Dr. Smith was elected President of Auburn College. At the conclusion of his term, his son-in-law, Dr. C. C. Thach was elected to succeed him as President of the college.
Lee County’s newest city was incorporated in 2001, and is located on Highway 280 / 431 between Opelika and Phenix City.
Located only a short distance by four lane highways from Atlanta, Columbus, and Montgomery, it brings together some 250+ (and growing) subdivisions in a southern country lifestyle enjoyed by young and old alike.